Skip to main content

Site Navigation

Your Account

Choose Language

How do you use a radial run out gauge

I need to know how to use a Radial run out gauge and where can I purchase one from

Answer this question I have this problem too

Is this a good question?

Score 2
Add a comment

4 Answers

Most Helpful Answer

You want to check both radial and lateral run-out.

Radial runout is the up and down motion of the tire. (How round it is)

Lateral runout is the side to side motion.

If you don't have a runout gauge just put bottle or something against the tire and spin it. You may have to adjust it a few times until you get it just right. You can eyeball it to see if you have runout. You wouldn't want much more than the thickness of a coin.


Was this answer helpful?

Score 2


Would any bottle do? I'm not very good at reading something and translating that to how it needs to be done, is there a way this can be demonstrated on YouTube?

What are some symptoms of radial and/or lateral run-out? I've still got a vibration after steer rotation and alignment with MD Alignment. I believe it's in the steer axle as the steering wheel shimies back and forth a bit almost like a wobble to a degree.

The shop I was at that did my alignment happened to have a guy from Pomps putting some tires on a few of the other trucks at the shop and he said the wear pattern on my drives was normal for the age of the tire (down to 7/32")


Add a comment

A run out gauge is very easy to use if it's the analog dial.

1. set the gauge up to your center rib of the tire or a complete solid rib.

2. Spin the dial to 0

3. Slowly rotate the tire around. If the readings start to go below zero on the gauge as the tire is being rotated adjust the dial to zero again at your lowest negative reading.

4. Mark the tire this is your low spot 0

5. Rotate the tire until you see the highest reading on gauge. That's your high spot.

Generally you don't want to see more then 50,thousand of difference

If you think the tire might be the issue deflate and rotate the tire on the rim (if it's an aluminum rim alcoa or accuride move the high spot of the tire to the valve stem)

(If it's a steel rim check the backside of the rim for a small dimple this is your low spot marked on steel rims move the high spot of the tire to the dimple)

A run out gauge will cost you about $200-400

Was this answer helpful?

Score 1
Add a comment

They do not have a price on there, you can call the nearest location with the part number.

Was this answer helpful?

Score 0
Add a comment

You can also try finding one on Ebay

Was this answer helpful?

Score 0
Add a comment

Add your answer

Charles will be eternally grateful.
View Statistics:

Past 24 Hours: 2

Past 7 Days: 16

Past 30 Days: 33

All Time: 2,495