How to read an oil sample?
I know it's probably an answer for a whole book (is there one?), but here is what I'd like to know specifically:
- What each category means ( or most important ones ) and what are the "good" levels?
- What to look for the most?
- What are the critical levels they tell you to change the oil?
- What is Oxidation and Nitration?
- How can you tell if you have an internal coolant leak and fuel dilution problem?
As an example here are some samples from Polaris Lab:
This is a CLEAN OIL SAMPLE right from bottle
This is Eco-pure was installed before 3rd sample only, so first two samples were with full flow filters only.
- Made switch from mineral to full synthetic Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5W-40 120.000 miles ago
- Engine is 06 Acert with Fleet Air Filter and removed catalytic converter
Is this a good question?